baby shower centerpiece
Click image to enlarge
Designer: Lisa Falduto
I love baby showers! It is so exciting to get together and anticipate the arrival of a brand new life! There are so many things you can create to decorate for a baby shower that are very inexpensive. I wanted to create an inexpensive centerpiece using some basic paper supplies and tools. I found the ideal glass bowl at my local thrift store for $1.00 and was excited that it also contained a candle and some shiny clear blue pebble stones which were all perfect for my project.
Instructions (Print version)
1. Create a pattern using scrap paper to cover the outside of your dish. My dish has 6 panels so I created a pattern, traced it on to the white cardstock 6 times and then cut each panel out using my Fiskars Micro-tip No. 5 scissors.
2. Using the small swirl stamp from The Fiskars Baby Stamp set and the Fiskars Stamp block set create blue, green and yellow swirls on each panel. When done, you will have 6 pieces that look like background paper!
3. Lightly ink each panel around the edges using your blue ink pad. Then take a gray or light blue marker and make short lines all the way around each panel which will make your pieces look stitched around the edges. Attach each panel to your glass dish using a clear adhesive.
4. Now take out your 3 other Fiskars stamps sets and choose the following:
5. Cut your white tissue paper using your Fiskars Rotary cutter, Fiskars 24"x36" mat, and Fiskars 3.5"x18.5" ruler. You want the tissue to fit all the way around your candle and as tall as you want. I made sure I could still see 1/2" of the candle on the top and bottom of mine. Now using the umbrella from the Fiskars Bottles and Blankets set stamp images all over the tissue paper using a Fiskars stamp block and Fiskars High density Still of the Night ink pad. Allow the ink to dry well.
6. After your stamped images are fully dry use your markers to color in each image as desired. Then use your Fiskars No. 5 Micro-tip scissors to trim around each image on the white cardstock leaving a slight white edge. Do not cut umbrella images out of tissue paper as you will apply this entire piece to the candle.
7. Use your blue, green, and yellow cardstock and your Fiskars L Seal of Approval Squeeze punch to punch 2 shapes out of each color. On each punch, draw dashed lines 1/4" inside the edge to create a circle of stitching. Use your Fiskars Foam Squares to mount each previously cut and colored stamped designs on to your newly punched shape. Attach these around your glass holder using Fiskars foam Squares.
8. Wrap your tissue paper around your candle attaching at the seam in back with just enough adhesive to tack it in place. Now use your heat gun to slowly go around and melt the tissue into the candle surface. Be careful you do not hold it in one spot too long or the candle wax will drip. Continue all the way around the candle until the tissue is melted on to the candle surface. The tissue will now appear invisible except for the colored sections.
9. Place the candle inside of the decorated dish and place your colored pebbles around the candle.
12-89028897 Fiskars Baby Stamps
01-003695 Fiskars Bottles and Blankets Stamps
12-89507097 Fiskars Sweet pea Stamps
01-003843 Fiskars The Stork has Arrives Stamps
94817797 Fiskars No. 5 Micro-tip Scissors
12-25987097 Fiskars Foam Squares
01-003775 Fiskars Seal of Approval squeeze punch
12-97937097 Fiskars 45mm Rotary cutter
12-87287097 Fiskars ruler
12-83727097 Fiskars 24"x36" mat
Other: White tissue paper, White Cardstock, cardstock, ink, markers (fine tip), Heat gun