Beautiful Things Canvas
Click image to enlarge
The concept of this design was to use contrast, color and distinctive shapes and texture to create something small, but striking. It was tons of fun to make! Plus it was a great way to create something significant using scraps of paper, trims, buttons and even a tiny scrap of a quilt.
Instructions (Print version)
Designer: Becky Novacek
1. Paint 6”x12” canvas and allow time to dry thoroughly. I also painted a scrap piece of vintage ledger paper.
2. While paint dries, use Extra Large Block Party Squeeze Punch to make pattern paper and cardstock squares. There are a total of 24 shapes, you will need ten of the Extra Large Squares. Set aside. When paint is dry, punch 4 vintage ledger squares. Use Medium Block Party Squeeze Punch to make 4 medium squares.
3. Use Large Seal of Approval Scallop Punch to create 4 pattern paper and cardstock shapes total. Then use Large Round n’ Round Squeeze Punch to punch out one painted ledger circle. Adhere to black scallop circle. Set aside. Also, use Wishes All Around Stamp on a piece of ledger paper and then punch out with Large Seal of Approval Scallop Punch. Use Pinking Scissors to make 2 large squares of scrap quilt pieces (using one of the punched squares as a guide) and one small red wool felt square, using small square as guide.
4. When the paint on your canvas is dry, use a wet adhesive to adhere each of the squares, circles and buttons to the canvas according to the sketch. Start at the top and just start building your design. Use sewing machine to do some random stitching (use the canvas photo as a guide or do whatever you like with your stitching)
5. After finishing the top 4 rows, work up from the bottom, creating the bottom two rows.
6. Use Scallop Sentiment Border Punch on vintage ledger paper 4”x8”(approximate, use your canvas as a guide). Adhere a skinny strip of black/cream pattern paper to “fill” any gap at top of ledger strip.
7. Handwrite quote and add pompom trim.
Fiskars: 12-73177097 Extra Large Block Party Squeeze Punch
Fiskars: 12-74367097 Medium Round n’ Round Squeeze Punch
Fiskars: 12-74247097 Large Round n’ Round Squeeze Punch
Fiskars: 01-004596 Scallop Sentiment Border Punch
Fiskars: 12-73047097 Medium Block Party Squeeze Punch
Fiskars: 01-004656 Wishes All Around Stamps
Pattern Paper that coordinates with paint you chose.
8 different size vintage buttons
Scrap pieces of trims (I used black mini pompom trim and blue ribbon)
Small scrap of red wool felt
Small scrap of old cutting quilt
Black thread for machine stitching