embroidery hoop as frame
Click image to enlarge
Designer: May Flaum
I love embroidery hoops and creating sewn projects with them, but I found myself wondering what else I could create. Using a small 5" hoop paired with a page protector I found that I can make fun photo frames to hang on the wall. Any color, theme, or design will work for this simple project- and it's so fun! The great part is that you can keep adding to your design and by the time I'm usually done- you can't even recognize that it's a hoop!
Instructions (Print version)
1. Take scrapbook page protector and adhere to back of hoop. Make sure to keep one side and bottom (that's sealed shut) along bottom and one side as much as possible. Then once dry cut away any excess that is hanging over edge of hoop and cut away an inch or two from the top of the BACK layer. This will make inserting photos later much easier.
2. Begin the layering process by setting some stickers on the top side of page protector.
3. Place some stickers, punched shapes, and patterned paper along rim of embroidery hoop.
4. Fill in gaps and layer on additional shapes and stickers around hoop.
5. Use USX to cut out butterfly and attach to back side of hoop. Then glitter edges.
6. Add any last details (glitter, rhinestones, buttons...) and add ribbon to hang.
NOTE: I added the orange heart (cut out from USX template and then edge cut with cloud scissors) after project was complete. I just felt like it needed the extra layer!
Fiskars all a flutter sqz punch
Fiskars twinkle twinkle XL squeeze punch
Fiskars USX super size hearts
Fiskars USX butterfly template
Fiskars craft knife
Heidi Grace stickers and patterned paper
other: glutter, pen, cardstock, ribbon