Road Trip book
Click image to enlarge
Designer: Lisa Storms
** as seen in the 'designer challenge: may 2008' article **
Fiskars Brands: 48507097 Circles-1 Shape Template
Fiskars Brands: 12-63057097 Fingertip Craft Knife
Fiskars Brands: 85167097 Craft Hand Drill
Fiskars Brands: 94457097 Pinking Shears
Fiskars Brands: 12-88717097 Easy Squeeze Glue Gun
Fiskars Brands: 12-74367097 Round 'n Round Medium Squeeze Punch
Fiskars Brands: 01-002302 Noteworthy Clear Stamps
Fiskars Brands: 12-29587097 Compact Stamp Press
Fiskars Brands: 12-99067097 Deckle Rotary Blade
Fiskars Brands: 12-99027097 Desktop Rotary Trimmer
Fiskars Brands: 94667097 Classic No. 8 Scissors
Fiskars Brands: 86108397 9x12 Craft Mat
Heidi Grace Designs: Only Time patterned paper, stickers, rub-ons, ribbon, and chipboard elements; Everyday Alpha stamps.
Cloud 9 Design: Green Rain Dots Eyelets, Pink Vellum Flower Kit
Other: composition book, dry erase board set, box of crayons, black ink
1. Open composition book to center and cut sewn binding to release inside pages; set aside.
2. Draw very basic car shape onto book and cut with fingertip craft knife on craft mat.
3. Adhere Dots paper onto front cover of composition book below black binding and turn over to trim excess with craft knife on craft mat.
4. Cut slit into black binding at top of car on front and back, thread ribbon through and double knot around dry-erase marker. Remove and set aside marker to replace after assembly is completed.
5. Adhere Only Time Main paper to inside covers of book and trim excess with craft knife.
6. Draw windows onto Decor Stripe paper (blue side), cut out, ink edges, adhere to car below black binding.
7. Trace four 3" circles from template onto chipboard, cut out with scissors, ink black and set aside to dry fully.
8. Stamp two lined circles from Noteworthy stamp set onto chipboard and cut out with scissors.
9. Cut around edge of original four dried black circles with tips of fabric pinking shears. By going around with just the tips, you create a tire tread instead of a pinked edge.
10. Line up all four tires and drill hole at center through all pieces on each side together on protected surface (phonebook, etc.) and adhere each tire with a brad from vellum flower pack through Rain Dot eyelet for finished edge.
11. Add stickers and chipboard elements to front of car, including a rub-on clock layered onto black inked chipboard in "road trip" title.
12. Disassemble small magnetic dry-erase board set and save magnets, marker, dry-erase sheet mounted on hardboard.
13. Trim excess hardboard from around dry-erase sheet using craft knife on craft mat and adhere to inside cover using Easy Squeeze Glue Gun.
14. Cut down plastic packaging from Rain Dot Eyelets from hanging side to fit inside cover. Trim piece of paper to fit open top, fold in half, and adhere to seal top. Adhere to inside cover being sure the original repositionable opening faces out.
15. Stamp X's and O'x onto blue and orange paper, mount onto chipboard, trim, and adhere magnets to back using Glue Gun (or to keep bulk down, use a simple strip of magnetic tape on backs). Store in refurbished Eyelet packaging.
16. Adhere swirls to inside cover using Glue Gun.
17. Adhere 8-pack of crayons to inside of back cover using Easy Squeeze Glue Gun.
18. Trim thick stack of reserved notebook paper to 5" x 6.5" using Deckle Blade in rotary trimmer.
19. Place stack onto inside back cover and drill two holes at top; insert two green brads from vellum flower pack over strip of patterned paper to secure notepad and allow for future refilling. Add chipboard heart to complete activity lap pad.